Opening Our Doors: Boston Under Construction — a free program
I love Boston, and especially the laws of the State whereof this city is the capital. To-day, as of yore, her laws have befriended progress. — Mary Baker Eddy
October 14, 2019: 10:00 a.m.–5:00 p.m.
The Library participates annually in Boston’s Opening Our Doors community day. This year we are collaborating with the BSA Foundation to provide engaging activities for children, families, and the young at heart.
Inspired by Mary Baker Eddy’s appreciation of great thinkers, visitors can participate in Build Mass Ave.—a hands-on, interactive learning project to redesign the Fenway Cultural District’s beloved Massachusetts Avenue. Keying off of ongoing construction at the Christian Science Plaza and throughout Boston, we invite children to create their own small-scale buildings from donated materials, including shoe boxes, milk cartons, cardboard tubes, and fabric.
On your visit you’ll also gain insight into how different types of buildings can help promote better communities. And you can also tour the world-famous Mapparium®, an architectural work of art!
Ongoing Family Activities (all day):
- Drop-in art projects with construction and architectural themes
- Face painting by Baja Face Painters
- Access to the Mapparium®
10:00 a.m.—Art Activities:
- Make an art piece dedicated to local trailblazing women including Abigail Adams, Mary Baker Eddy, and Isabella Stewart Gardner
- Create construction themed crafts
10:45 a.m.—Storytime in the Book Nook.
11:00 a.m.—Build Mass Ave., a youth project by the Boston Society of Architects Foundation. In the Publishing House lobby.*
11:00 a.m.—Sing-alongs with Jeff Jam. In the Book Nook and the Publishing House lobby.*
11:00 a.m.—Churchill’s Architecture Tour, by Cambridge Historical Tours. Hear from Mapparium architect Chester Lindsay Churchill, and his wife Louise Churchill, who helped him design the Christian Science Publishing House. Meets in the Publishing House lobby.
11:30 p.m.—Churchill’s Architecture Tour. Meets in the Publishing House lobby.*
1:00 p.m.—Churchill’s Architecture Tour. Meets in the Publishing House lobby.*
1:00 p.m.: Sing-alongs with Jeff Jam. In the Book Nook and the Publishing House lobby.*
1:30 p.m.—Churchill’s Architecture Tour. Meets in the Publishing House lobby*.
1:30 p.m.—Storytime in the Book Nook.
2:30 p.m.—Churchill’s Architecture Tour. Meets in the Publishing House lobby*.
3:15 p.m.—Barbershop guest performance by the Neapolitan Quartet. In the Publishing House lobby.
*Limited tickets available at the reception desk
Directions and parking
- Find driving and public transportation directions to the Library here.
- Limited $15 parking is available to Library visitors at the Christian Science Plaza Garage. Please validate your parking ticket at the reception desk when you leave the Library. You must exit the garage within 20 minutes of validation. Entrance to the underground parking lot is north of the intersection of Huntington and Massachusetts Avenues, next to Horticultural Hall (enter via Massachusetts northbound — no entrance is available on Huntington Ave during construction).
- Free three-hour bus parking is available on Huntington Avenue westbound (State Route 9), adjacent to the Christian Science Plaza. Drop-off is at the Library’s main entrance, 200 Massachusetts Avenue.
Opening Our Doors celebration—Boston’s largest free day of arts, cultural, and educational events, brought to you by the Fenway Alliance.
Youth programs of the BSA Foundation encourage children to explore and formulate ideas about their communities, design, and architecture as they learn the fundamentals of design thinking through hands-on experiences.