One World 2020 — Update and playback information
Beloved children, the world has need of you, —
and more as children than as men and women:
it needs your innocence, unselfishness,
faithful affection, uncontaminated lives.
— Mary Baker Eddy
This past summer, The Mary Baker Eddy Library hosted its fifteenth annual One World program—an exciting series of free art and cultural events targeted for children ages 4–12 that took place over six Tuesday mornings.
Together we learned about a different corner of the globe, with cultural activities from Italy, Mali, Peru, Lebanon, Haiti, and Vietnam. Events included live performances, sing-alongs, arts and crafts, storytimes, and complimentary book giveaways.
This year’s program was designed for everyone to explore totally online. And you can now watch replays of all this programming, see the performances, engage with the art activities, and enjoy the storytimes (see below)!
July 7: ITALY
- Italian-inspired arts and crafts (05:30)Click here to get art instructions for One World Italy.
- Commedia dell’Arte theatre performance, by Pazzi Lazzi (35:00)
- Storytime: All the Way to America: The Story of a Big Italian Family and a Little Shovel, by Dan Yaccarino. Presented by Bianca Renzoni. (01:20:00)
July 14: MALI
- 10:10 a.m.: Malian-inspired arts and crafts Click here to get art instructions for One World Mali.
- 10:45a.m.: Performance: Malian drumming and dancing performance, presented by Joh Camara
- 11:30 a.m.: Storytime: Malian folktales, presented by Len Cabral
July 21: PERU
- 10:10 a.m.: Peruvian-inspired arts and crafts Click here to get art instructions for One World Peru.
- 10:45 a.m.: Peruvian music and folk dance performance, by New Inca Son
- 11:30 a.m.: Storytime: Peruvian folk stories, presented by Doris Hicks, and Peruvian songs, presented by the Aspilcueta family.
July 28: LEBANON
- 10:10 a.m.: Lebanese-inspired arts and crafts (03:05) Click here to get art instructions for One World Lebanon.
- 10:45 a.m.: Lebanese folk dance performance, by Amal Simon (39:50)
- 11:30 a.m.: Lebanese stories, presented by the Center for Arabic Culture (01:30:50)
August 4: HAITI
- 10:10 a.m.: Haitian-inspired arts and crafts (03:40) Click here to get art instructions for One World Haiti.
- 10:45 a.m.: Haitian traditional and modern dances, by Jean Appolon Expressions (39:50)
- 11:30 a.m.: Haitian folk stories, presented by Marie-France Merisier Noel (01:32:00)
August 11: VIETNAM
- 10:10 a.m.: Vietnamese-inspired arts and crafts (03:40) Click here for art instructions on One World Vietnam.
- 10:45 a.m.: Vietnamese Lion Dance, by Worcester Youth Nian Dancers (39:00)
- 11:30 a.m.: Vietnamese folk stories, presented by The Southeast Asian Coalition (01:24:30)