Mary Baker Eddy founded The Christian Science Monitor in 1908, with the objective “to injure no man, but to bless all mankind.” Today this award–winning international news organization publishes content daily at csmonitor.com and once a week in print, as well as a daily podcast.
These early photographs from our collections show the Monitor at work—and play.
Staff members of the Monitor formed a baseball team as early as 1911. The players enjoyed some success in the Boston Newspaper League and in competing with teams fielded by local churches, department stores, and the utility company. This photo (circa 1928–1931) was most likely taken in the late 1920s (P04892):
This 1925 photo (P04327) shows workers making printing plates in the Monitor‘s stereotype room. At this time, the newspaper was printed in the original Publishing House of The Christian Science Publishing Society, located at 107 Falmouth Street in Boston. Later it moved to a new Publishing House at One Norway Street, completed in 1934. The Monitor‘s editorial department remains in the Publishing House today. The Mary Baker Eddy Library opened in this same building in 2002.
This 1925 photo (P04249) shows a transport truck, piled high with bags of Monitors out for delivery. Starting in 1960, printing of the newspaper gradually moved from the Publishing House in Boston to five regional plant presses.
This 1949 photo (P04921) shows newsboys posing with copies of an edition announcing the March 31 arrival of Winston Churchill in Boston. He was one of several luminaries invited to take part in the Mid–Century Convocation of the Massachusetts Institute of Technology, which met to discuss the future of science and technology.
The newsboys are seen standing outside of the Publishing House, prior to moving across the city to the Boston Garden, where Churchill would give his speech. Attendees numbered nearly 14,000. Many more listened worldwide on the radio. Churchill also drew the largest television audience for a live event up to that date.